May 17, 2013

FRESH EUCALYPTUS



So - I didn't actually know this plant was eucalyptus until the past year or so. Before then, I had only ever seen it in dusty, fake or dried Michael's bouquets. It reminds me of the early nineties, and unfortunate interiors with too many pastels and an overdone Southwest vibe. But lately I've seen it used, fresh, in bathrooms. Tied up rustically to showerheads (or unused towel bars, if you don't want to bump into it), the eucalyptus is "activated" by the hot steam from showering, and apparently makes your whole bathroom smell like an Italian spa (which in my mind smells like sunshine and fresh herbs).

So far, it's working beautifully. This isn't Vicks Vaporub eucalyptus - this is an elegant, vaguely camphorous smell. It's also reminiscent of the cedar-lined sauna at our big cabin, which I love. I'm on a constant mission to make life away from the cabin more like life at the cabin, so I can hold onto that summery, woodsy-beachy vibe year-round. I also think I'll add sprigs of rosemary and lavender when my garden kicks into high gear this summer.

I got a bunch of fresh eucalyptus from Trader Joe's for under $5 (the bunch above is about 2/3 of the total). More than worth it for a month or so of cabin-vibe-inducing Italian spa luxury.