March 19, 2014

ELVIS ICE CREAM



This isn't really Elvis ice cream. This is just roasted banana ice cream with a peanut butter swirl. Real Elvis ice cream would have bacon crumbles on it, I think. (Or be topped with a strip of chocolate-dipped bacon!) But I can't help but think of the King whenever I combine the two flavors, which is often, because they're meant for each other.

It was near impossible to find a banana ice cream recipe that was custard-based (had eggs in it). Banana has recently become a substitute for fat in dessert recipes, which is fine, but I was disappointed to find few recipes that combined the natural lusciousness of banana with the fatty, full-cream-and-egg-yolk righteousness of traditional ice cream. So... I kind of Frankenstein-ed it. MacGyver-ed it. I pulled a vanilla bean ice cream recipe from my Williams-Sonoma book, and referenced the last time I made a banana ice cream for roasting/caramelizing instructions (excluding the cinnamon, because I don't think Elvis would've approved). If I was making this for anyone other than Micah and myself, I probably would've thinned the peanut butter out before swirling it in, but I couldn't be bothered. I couldn't even be bothered to wait to use the kitchen to churn it. I think Elvis would've approved.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks, and sounds, incredible. Love the idea of homemade ice-cream that doesn't have all the crap that most store bought stuff has. I suppose you could just make enough so you don't have the temptation of eating it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner; I fear that would be my issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could also just make a full batch, then gift little pint containers to your friends and family. Portion control AND generosity!

      Delete
  2. I'm going to have to try my hand at making my own banana ice cream. I love Ben & Jerry's chunky monkey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, have you tried their banana and peanut butter greek yogurt?!: http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/banana-peanut-butter-greek-frozen-yogurt I'm just now realizing I bought a few pints of it in the last few months... and it definitely inspired me to make this ice cream.

      Delete