April 29, 2014

BATHTIME



I've been taking baths. It's starting to become a centering, grounding ritual of sorts – so it's fitting that I unknowingly started on the new moon in Taurus. I turn off the light, pour the water a bit too hot, light a few of my muskiest, headiest candles, pour myself a glass of red wine, put on some low, atmospheric music, and settle in. It's a great way to come back into my body after a long day of working in my head. It all feels a bit womblike and magical – especially if the water is hot enough to make me slightly lightheaded.

I love reaching out towards my glass of wine, and seeing steam snaking up from my skin in the low flickering light, like I'm some sort of otherworldly creature. I love how it slows me down, and how it reminds me of the sauna experience: cleansing and bracing and ceremonial, in this great old-world way. I'd like to start experimenting with different essential oils to heighten the experience. And it's made me realize that I need to bring some plants into that room. Maybe a delicate fern hung up high by the window, or a snakey sansevieria underneath the sink...