June 8, 2012

THE PARLOUR


Above: The Parlour at the monthly Oval Park food truck rodeo. I got a scoop of Vanilla and a scoop of Salted Butter Caramel.

The Parlour is a mini school bus turned ice cream parlor, and probably my favorite food truck in Durham (you know how I love my ice cream). The Parlour is, really, I've got to say it, heaven on wheels.

They create small-batch handmade ice creams (and sorbets and ice cream sandwiches) using natural and local ingredients whenever possible. Their flavors are a good mix of inventive (Coriander Goat Cheese with Strawberry Swirl? Uhh, OKAY) and classic. The stand-out for me is Salted Butter Caramel - I can't not order it, every time. Creamy beyond belief, and the sea salt balances the deep amber-y caramel perfectly. I want to wear it, live in it, and name my firstborn after it.

(Fellow design nerds: their identity was designed by the extremely talented Jamie Van Wart. Yum.)

I see them regularly at Fullsteam (on Wednesdays) and at the Oval Park food truck rodeos (every first Thursday of the month). But selfishly, I've always wanted them to be available to me whenever I wanted. Somewhere singular, where I wouldn't have to chase them down. And earlier this week, the possibility of that dream came true.

The Parlour has launched a Kickstarter campaign to put them "on the map." They're trying to raise funds for a brick-and-mortar location somewhere in downtown Durham. A place where like-minded folks can have ALL THE SALTED BUTTER CARAMEL ICE CREAM FOR DINNER WHENEVER THEY WANT. Ahem.

Durhamites (who are so good about supporting local businesses already, God I love this town), philanthropists, ice cream lovers, anyone who cares about my well-being: go check it out. Pretty please with a cherry (and some homemade all-natural sprinkles) on top.