August 15, 2013

WHOLE30: DAY 1



Above: Lunch. Arugula salad with prosciutto, grape tomatoes, wild blueberries, avocado, red onion, almonds, and balsamic vinaigrette.

Micah and I are starting a Whole30 today! For 30 days, we're eating only high-quality meat, seafood, vegetables, fruit, good fats, seeds, and nuts. Conversely, we won't be having any alcohol, dairy, sugar, grains, or legumes. You can read more about the program as a whole (pun intended!) here.

We're basically just pressing the reset button on our bodies. I want to know what I'm like, and how I function, when I'm only consuming nutrient-dense, high-quality, healthy food. And I want to see how I'll react when I reintroduce different things (dairy, sugar, alcohol, etc.) back into my system, post-Whole30 (which we've timed so it ends the day before my birthday. NOT A COINCIDENCE).

I just want get my shit right, figuratively, and literally. Rockstar poops!

This first week will be about keeping it simple, and getting into the habit of creating compliant meals. Planning and preparation are key in this program, which is great because I love planning and preparing. Virgo power! Over the last week or so, we've slowly rid our fridge, freezer and cupboards of anything we won't be able to have. I've boxed up non-compliant evergreen items (flour, sugar, oats, miscellaneous pantry items) and stored them outside of the kitchen. Out of sight, out of mind. We've had fun researching and buying a few new-to-us "substitute" items, like ghee and coconut aminos.

I'm a little wary of any withdrawals I might have to work through. Because off the top of my head, I'd say my three favorite foods are: 1) a toasted everything bagel with plain cream cheese, 2) Kraft macaroni and cheese, and 3) all dessert. I love making pasta and ice cream and fancy cocktails, and I don't think that'll change in 30 days. But, I am hoping to loosen my very real dependency on them.

So, Micah and I are treating this all like a grand adventure experiment. (He treats most things like grand adventures, and that's why I love him.) We're excited to better ourselves, and to expand our culinary repertoires. Over the next few weeks, I'll be updating you on our progress: sharing meals, struggles, and any hallucinatory revelations that may occur.

Cheers!

UPDATE: You can read a recap of my entire Whole30 experience here.