December 19, 2011

FIELD NOTES

I got a mixed-paper three-pack of Field Notes in the mail today as part of a not-so-dirty-Santa gift exchange at work.

I love everything about them. The size. The butcher paper covers (French Dur-O-Tone 80# C "Packing Brown Wrap," for all the paper-lovers out there). The ubiquitous typography. The heartfelt yet quirky copy on the inside covers. The fact that they look like a prop in a Wes Anderson movie.

But it's also more than that. They're the kind of thing that you want not because of the thing itself, but because of what the thing implies. I'm excited about them because they look like the kind of tiny, unassuming notebook I would fill with big ideas (the biggest). Crazy plans (the craziest). Maybe-but-hopefully-not impossible lists (all with an Ultra Fine Point Sharpie, natch).

Their tagline sums it up: "I'm not writing it down to remember it later, I'm writing it down to remember it now."