November 5, 2012

WEEKEND BREAKFAST

Above: Saturday's breakfast. Roasted grapefruit, cranberry oatmeal, and toast with butter, strawberry jam and black pepper.

Yes, my quest to roast everything that will sit still long enough to be roasted continues! Grapefruit - why not, right? I rubbed a little bit of brown sugar and Christmas spices (ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and maybe cloves?) on top of each half and broiled them for 5 - 10 minutes. Magic. The juice would be SO good in some sort of wintery cocktail.

This weekend, I pulled up all remaining summer crop plants: tomatoes, peppers, eggplants. All that remains now is my kale, some herbs, and Micah's peas. I trimmed back the lavender, repotted some mums, and will turn over the soil in all the plots sometime this week. On Sunday, we ate at Scratch - I had shirred eggs and buttery toast, and Micah had some sort of hot mess gravy pile called "the S.O.S." Later, he grilled us a bunch of food for the upcoming week while I hung out in an adirondack chair under wool blankets, cozy and drinky on grapefruit mimosas (yeah - I'm on a grapefruit kick). Perfect.