February 1, 2012

ADDYS MOODBOARD

Top middle image from Karla's Closet. 

A few weeks from now, I'll be flying back to Oklahoma City for the advertising industry's annual awards gala. The ADDYs. It's our prom, basically. A night to dress up for, to boost (or maim) morale, to steal wine from other agencies' tables and cheer too loud when one of our own wins big. If not taken too seriously, it can be one of the funnest nights of the year.

So I did what any self-respecting art director would do - I created a moodboard for my outfit. I call it Grown-up Goth. I wanted a mix of badass and feminine, attitude and polish, modern and classic.

It was inspired by one of my favorite wines, but tempered by practicality. I can eat all I want in that dress. Just look at it! I don't have to wear tights OR heels. And it walks the fine line between slutty and conservative, which I think is an important line for dresses to walk. As in - if you're going to show it off on top, cover it up on bottom, and vice-versa. What's the saying?: "Your clothes should be tight enough to show you're a woman, but loose enough to show you're a lady." Something like that.

The only thing left to do is decide which color to dye my hair...