February 29, 2012

FORAGER PESTO

Pesto is a great way to get rid of overabundant/dying greens/nuts. And it turns everything green!, which is the best color. Ever.

So what's in this pesto? Short answer: everything I could stuff in the food processor. Long answer: kale, garlic, spinach, cilantro, green onions, wild green onions (from my backyard. That's right. I foraged. It felt very Durham.) and broccoli stalks. And almonds and a slug of good olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice. I can't even guess at what the proportions might be - whenever I cook, the amounts I include by default are however much I have on-hand. Usually it works out. Usually.

Last night I served it with pasta, shrimp, roasted broccoli and mushrooms. But it's also amazing on potatoes, eggs, sandwiches... anything that would look better green. Which is everything.