May 28, 2013

WEEKEND BREAKFAST



Top two: Saturday's breakfast. Roasted pesto potatoes on a bed of spinach with shaved jicama, a fried egg, and parmesan crisps. Side of pan de campagne (from Loaf).

Bottom two: Monday's breakfast. Fried duck egg with cheese crust (Chapel Hill Creamery Calvander), arugula, and caramelized onions. Side of bacon and an English muffin with strawberry jam.

We deserved that three-day weekend. We made no plans, and stuck to them. We finished The Office, Micah finished his chicken coop, and I hung onto texts from my parents as they drove up to Michigan for the summer (stopping in Chicago and Ypsilanti to visit my brothers Will and Sam, respectively). I put on my bikini and laid out on a towel in the backyard and pretended I was there with them. Then I started sweating profusely and remembered there was no icy lake to jump into to cool off - and retreated inside to make myself a lime / basil / mint tonic and bookmark a countdown on my laptop so I could know exactly how many days / hours / minutes I have left until I leave (roughly 36 days).