May 8, 2012

ON VOTING

Above: Looking pensively off into the middle distance while rocking my "I Voted" sticker and some uncharacteristic hot pink lipstick. Democracy!

Today I voted as a resident of North Carolina for the first time ever. Awesome. I don't vote a lot (only in each of the presidential elections since I became of age), because politics is usually something I don't find worthwhile of my time or energy. There's too much information to wade through, too many Sisyphean arguments to get into, and the finer points of each party line sometimes seem so similar that voting for either feels inconsequential.

But I voted today because I was able to vote with my gut (and my heart). Against Amendment One. Because it is so simple, and so important. I hope the rest of my new state agrees.