April 11, 2012

DVD CASE CLEANSE

DVD cases suck. They do. They take up a disproportionate amount of space relative to the thing they're storing (the DVD itself), and they're a bit of an eyesore.

So... I was cleaning house the other day, was dusting around them, and hating having to do that, when I automatically started applying The Awesome Test. And guess what? They failed. So I got rid of them. Everything you see above is now out of my house and my life forever. I struggled a bit with some of the TV series - the packaging for the first season of Mad Men that's shaped like a lighter was pretty cool. But that's not why I bought it. I bought it for the first season of Mad Men. Which I still have, minus a few extra square inches of plastic crap.

Now all my DVDs are stored in a single black leather CD case I had from back when I had tons of CDs. (You know, until I had another minimalism seizure and threw those away too.) It's amazing how much space this little cleanse has freed up. Maybe a small step in the grand scheme of things, but it's a lot in the 650 sq. ft. we're working with, and a giant leap for The Never-Ending Edit.

(This little episode also inspired me to start another donation bag(s) for VVA. Indeed, the edit never ends...)