July 25, 2012

ROASTING TOMATOES

I know I've said this before, but it bears repeating: I love roasting tomatoes. I usually roast them when they're juuust starting to get a little old, and might no longer be optimal for use fresh. They had this intense ruby pop to omeletes, pizza, pasta, saldas, crazy cheese plates... you name it, they enhance it.

I bought these assorted grape and cherry varieties from the farmer's market on a whim, even though I had a pint of normal cherry tomatoes already at home. The normals got thrown into salads, and these got the rockstar treatment, along with a few cloves of garlic.

My favorite part of the process is wiping down the pan with a hunk of bread after the tomatoes have been stored away. The oily, burnt-garlicky, salt-and-peppery sludge that's left behind is unbelievable - too potent to be eaten in any larger quantity, but too good to be thrown away.